by Walter Last

Karen sounded rather frightened when she talked to me on the phone for the first time. Fluid filled her body up to her waist and she feared having to go on dialysis soon with a kidney transplant later.

I suggested a urine fast as the most effective treatment or alternatively a juice fast and watermelon diet combined with suitable supplements and diuretics. She opted for the juice and watermelon diet. However, after two weeks there was no improvement. In desperation she agreed to try a urine fast. Normally I would have recommended continuing the fast until she was more or less cured but because she told me that she was extremely skinny, I suggested a duration of 2 weeks.

Here is her own report of what happened.


My experience with Nephrotic Syndrome commenced a year ago in October. I had been suffering shortness of breath especially after exercise, but like most people I ignored this hoping it would go away. This shortness of breath persisted and early November I had swelling around both ankles. To relieve these symptoms I had acupuncture but unfortunately it gave only temporary relief. A doctor's visit was necessary and after blood and urine tests my condition was diagnosed. At this stage I had a urinary protein loss of 8.2gms over a 24 hour period and my cholesterol had reached a reading of 9.7. I am of slim build and my cholesterol had always been at an acceptable level.

I was immediately sent to a renal specialist with a biopsy booked in a couple of days time which would consist of nephrons being extracted from one kidney, examined under a microscope to determine the exact nephrotic condition and then an initial six week course on cortisone to be commenced.

I was very frightened at this stage, and I was feeling very grateful that I had a specialist who "was looking after me", trying to prevent my kidneys from going into renal failure. According to him I needed this treatment to possibly stop my kidneys deteriorating further. This in turn might avoid the prospect of dialysis later and of course a kidney transplant further on. The presence of a tumour was ruled out and at the time it was a relief that my problems were coming to an end.

I discussed the above with my acupuncturist who made inquiries with his peers as to the repercussions of this procedure and the alternatives. I then contacted a naturopath who verified that there was another option.

I delayed my biopsy (with much resistance from the renal specialist and my GP) to consider the facts - the dangers of the biopsy, the damage the cortisone would cause to my weakened body, the side effects of the cortisone with the possibility that the treatment would not be successful hence necessitate a second course of cortisone, further weakening my kidneys etc.

I only had one choice now, even though I still had no guarantees. I was comfortable in my decision. Several days after my initial phone contact with Walter, I received by mail a specific list of supplements and dietary requisites which I commenced to follow. By the start of therapy the fluid had built up from being just in the ankles to being from the waist downward. I commenced a watermelon fast for nearly 2 weeks but without any improvement.

Beginning of December I commenced a urine therapy fast. I didn't consume any food during this period, only drinking my freshly voided urine, and some water at times. This would not have been possible without the guidance of Walter during this stressful period. The fast lasted 13 days and I must conclude that this was one of the most difficult experiences of my life. I was extremely weak, particularly toward the end but in retrospect this was the beginning of my recovery.

After the urine fast I commenced eating small amounts of food. I still had the fluid build-up in my body which typically was as follows - upon rising I was extremely thin with not a trace of fluid. After being on my feet long enough to have breakfast, the fluid would be in my thighs, knees and calves, then by the end of the day my hips and bottom would be fluid filled as well. I would be resting with my feet elevated for much of the day as well as using a rebounder as a lymphasiser for the exercises Walter gave me.

I again had blood and urine tests and the results on Wednesday December 20. The protein loss over a 24 hour period was down to 3gm. My cholesterol was down to 8.9. At this stage I had more fluid in my left side than my right ie my left arm, the left side of my body, my left leg and foot were much larger than my corresponding right side. My energy was still very low, so low that I couldn't walk up stairs without considerable difficulty. I only had the energy to prepare special juices and food for myself.

As I improved I still had to physically lift my legs into a car and by mid January I could get into a car normally, I was improving all the time but still a long way from full recovery. I needed rest and more rest. I had to eat lots of small meals during the day or I wouldn't have the energy to move. My legs were elevated as much as possible to let the fluid drain, my bed was elevated at one end. I ate very little protein for about nine months to take the burden off the kidneys. I abstained from any animal protein for about 6 months and now only eat fish 2-3 times a month, getting most of my protein requirements from a vegetarian source. The following list covers most of what I have done/still do since November.

Diet: main aspect being a diet free from allergy causing foods: no dairy, gluten, salt, all food freshly prepared, very little protein

Vitamin, mineral and antioxidant supplements including grape extract

Rebounder/Lymphasiser, Massage, Reflexology, Meditation, Visualisation

Light spinal tapping of certain vertebrae specific for Bright's disease

Castor oil packs on kidneys

I also drink about 250ml of freshly voided urine first thing in the morning. This I have been doing for about the past 9 months. I have not been to a doctor since March for further blood and urine tests as I was asked not to come back unless I was prepared to see a renal specialist, even though my protein loss was down to 3.3gm loss per 24-hour period and my cholesterol down to 6.5. After discussions with Walter I felt content to continue doing what I had become accustomed to, my body was healing and allowed me to become involved in life again but at a slower pace. I feel great now, I have adopted a more relaxed approach to my life and I believe that had I taken the medical approach my story would be entirely different.


In the letter enclosed with the report Karen writes: "I have been full of energy and have been exceptionally well for about the last 4 months. It is just wonderful... I have put on weight and have my muscle tone back. I feel great".

Several years later Karen was on holiday with her husband in the area where I live and I met her for the first time in person. She had good vitality, looked attractive and radiant and I could not find any health problems.

This is but one of many great success stories of urine therapy, demonstrating that there are not only cheaper but also more effective ways of treating diseases than just with drugs and technology.

Disclaimer: The aim of this web site is to provide information on using natural healing methods to aid in the treatment of illness and health improvement.
The author cannot accept any legal responsibility for any problem arising from experimenting with these methods. For any serious disease,
or if you are unsure about a particular course of action, seek the help of a competent health professional.

© Copyright Walter Last & Austpac Productions. All Rights Reserved. | Web Design by Austpac.